Buyer's guide for LED warehouse lights
LED warehouse lights offer bright lighting to spaces such as manufacturing, distribution, sports complexes, etc. LEDs increase productivity, decrease maintenance and save energy, so they are ideal for your warehouse. Here are the benefits of LED bulbs for industrial lighting.
- Cost- The prices of LEDs have come a long way since 2019. So, now it’s the perfect time to buy LEDs for your warehouse.
- Energy saving- LED lights use 60-90% less energy than traditional light sources, such as HID and fluorescent lights. Therefore, they help in saving costs and reducing your electricity bills.
- Looks- LED lights come in different styles and sizes, and you can pick the one that suits your preferences and purpose, such as high bay design, wide beam angle and finned heat sink.
- Ease- Compared to other light sources, LEDs are easy to install. Most common lighting fixtures, such as outdoor lights and ceiling fixtures, are compatible with LED. Also, many LEDs are equipped with plug-and-play options, which means you can plug it into the existing socket, and it will start working.
- Safety- LED lights are safe as they do not contain mercury like other lights. Also, it does not emit UV emissions like fluorescent tubes and incandescent bulbs. And as excessive UV radiation damages human health, LEDs are safer to use in warehouses where people work for long hours.
After knowing the benefits of installing LED lights in warehouses, the next step is to consider several things while purchasing lights.
1. Lumens and colour temperature
The first thing you should consider while selecting lights for your warehouse is the brightness and the colour temperature. Below factors can help you pick the correct lumens and colour temperature for your warehouse.
- Purpose of the warehouse- The type of activities that take place in a warehouse decide whether the warehouse needs more or less lighting. For instance, intense lighting may require in a warehouse where heavy machinery is employed for precise working, as opposed to a warehouse where products are stored, which may require less lighting.
- Ceiling height- The height of the ceiling helps you decide what lights will suit your warehouse facility. A high ceiling will require high lumens to ensure everyone sees adequately within the space.
- Colour temperature- The mood and productivity of employees are significantly affected by the colour temperature of LED lights. Prefer colour temperatures (5000K- 6500K) to give your workers a bright and alert environment. Similarly, pick warmer colour temperatures (2700K-3500K) for break rooms or storage areas.
- Colour rendering index- The colour rendering index tells how correctly a light source renders colours. So, if your warehouse uses colour-coded labels, consider checking the warehouse light bulbs' colour rendering index.
2. Beam angle
The beam angle is another important consideration when choosing light-emitting diodes for warehouses. The beam angle determines the spread of the light, which impacts the overall brightness. The beam angle of 120 and 90 degrees is commonly used in LED warehouse lights. With a 120-degree beam angle, a large open area can be easily illuminated as it offers a broad dispersion of light. While a 90-degree beam is a narrow spreader of light, which means it is perfect for lighting specific areas in the warehouse.
3. Mounting and installation
You should consider several things before mounting and installing LED lights in the warehouse to ensure the safety of your workers. Some steps that can help you with the mounting and installation of the LED lights are:-
- Pick the right fixtures- Your space will determine what type of fixture you need. For example, high bay fixtures are suitable for high ceilings, while low bay fixtures are good for low ceilings.
- Consider motion sensors- Motion sensors will help you save energy and reduce energy costs as they automatically turn on and off.
- Before installation, check the lights- Testing the lights before installation will help you find any defects before installation, thus, helping you save time and money.
- Follow all safety instructions carefully- While installing UFO garage lights, ensure following all safety guidelines. For example, wear protective gear and use property tools for installing LED lights.
4. Durability and quality
Though LED lights are built to withstand the harsh conditions of a warehouse, it is crucial to look for certain things, such as high IP ratings, which determine the light ability to withstand moisture and dust. Also, look for those lights that are manufactured with high-quality materials to ensure they can withstand the harsh weather of the warehouse. You can check the online reviews and ratings of LEDs from different manufacturers to ensure you install the best ones at your facility.
5. Energy efficiency and dimmability
LED lights that you are installing must be cost-effective in the long run. So, pick a LED that has a high-efficiency rating (Lumens per watt) and energy star ratings. Dimming LED lights will help you save energy by enabling you to set the intensity levels according to the different times of the day. Also, don’t forget to check the warranty and customer support the manufacturer provides in case of any defects or issues.